Sunday 28 January 2007

Scratchy Labels


I said that this is what I'd blog about, so I'm doing it. I want to get it out of the way so that I can blog about more interesting things like the bad state of our universities, or public hangings in Iran. But I am anally retentive, I think, and so -- grimly -- have to see things through.

When I am on my deathbed is the satisfaction I have had in seeing things through going to be enough compensation for a wasted life?

Scratchy labels are just that: lovely, lovely labels at the back of my neck on my clothes, designer or otherwise (otherwise being Primark, Matalan and TKMax). And they drive me crazy and I live in amazement at all the people who just get on with it and probably don't even notice this.

I can't live with scratchy labels, so I cut them off. Over the years I have cut many a hole into the back of my clothes while cutting off labels in too much of a hurry. Nowadays I do use a stitch ripper and go very very carefully, talking to myself all the while: "Sapphire, you paid a lot of money for this and you know that you could so easily cut a hole in the back of it. Just please curb your rough nature and take this off stitch by stitch very slowly."

Then I have a garment with no label to scratch the back of my neck. This is also a garment that I can hardly sell on Ebay, especially if it is that rare thing, a designer garment. That is my sad decision. Comfort now rather than money later. But I have only sold two things on Ebay and have bought 180. I am a sad failure.

I am also a failure as an intellectual lady, and you will hear about that as you continue to read my blog. The kind of person who is a success as a lady academic is the kind of person who walks though a door, literally slamming it in others' faces. This is what I have observed, and will blog on in future, as well as on the little I know about the opposition in Iran.

No comments: